What is CB certificate?
CB certificate can be the passport which allows the product to get access to the marketplace of more than 50 countries in CE Scheme – an international system founded by International Electrotechnical Commission.
IECEE CB Scheme is a multilateral agreement between participating countries and their resident certification organization. CB certification is limited to electrical and electronic products.
The scheme was implemented to promote global harmonization and reduce barriers to trade. Any product carrying a CB certification will be accepted by participating laboratories and certification organizations around the world and be awarded applicable national safety certification.
The main objective of the scheme is to facilitate trade between attesting countries and to promote the harmonization of standards on an international basis.
Any product having CB certification can use this to obtain national certification in any of the attesting countries.
Three simple steps:
- The product is submitted to the CBTL for testing to the appropriate IEC Safety Standard. The assessment will include National Deviations to meet country specific requirements.
- Upon completion of the testing the compliant test report will be issued to the National Certification Body (NCB) who in turn issue the CB Test Certificate following a review of the submitted report.
- The product, along with the CB Test Report and CB Test Certificate can then be submitted to the countries of interest and if required be used to obtain the National Certification Mark of those countries.
Benefits of using the CB Scheme
- Recognised internationally in over 50 countries.
- Can be used as part of a technical file to support a Declaration of Conformity for CE Marking.
- Reduces the number of test samples required for testing.
- Testing can be performed locally rather than abroad.
- Requirements for many countries can be covered under one test programme to optimise market access.
- Testing does not need to be repeated for each target country, saving both time and money.
- Can be used to provide a route to North American approvals.